Tuesday 24 April 2012

Foundation for Life?

Nobody would doubt that the RSGB initiative to bring a new crowd of entry-level operators into the hobby was a 'good thing'. The young, the old, dabblers and people of varying abilities are able to enter the hobby with nearly all the operating capabilities of an advanced licence holder. Ten Watts on nearly all the bands really is 'enough to work the world'.

But should that be the end of their radio adventure? I am wondering if there should be a nominal time limit that encourages the foundation licence holder to progress to the next level or the licence is rescinded. Does this sound harsh? Well, there are plenty of analogies - think of your teenager's moped licence.

Should you be able to remain aspirationally dormant at this level for life? Perhaps if you are visually impaired, for example, or face other similar restrictions, then this should be an absolute entitlement.

But has the proliferation of long term M3's and latterly M6's downgraded the quality of the hobby to some extent? For example, take two metres, with fewer of the 'older gentlemen of the air' as I like to call them, taking an active part in daily communications, has the lead example of how to behave been lost? I would say to an extent, yes. More senior operators still monitor two metres and will bemoan inwardly the way that newer operators seem to be making up their own rules of how to behave on the air without any mentoring or peer influence. Yes, I know there are examples of senior operators behaving appallingly, but I really would not want any young aspiring radio amateur to listen to some of the inane, irrelevant and wholly inappropriate conversations floating around the bands in my area - and we're in a comparative Narnia here in north Wales.

I admit to feeling my heart sink when I heard about a five year old girl passing the Foundation Exam recently. This is not an example of how clever the girl is, is it? Likewise the blood drained when I heard of the Belgians giving their novices fifty, yes fifty Watts to play with. Unless I've been reading this incorrectly, the RSGB have been reporting all this as 'good' news.

So where do we set the balance? Where is the incentive to learn, progress and perfect?

Suggestion: Foundation for five years, Intermediate for ten, Advanced for life. Too severe, or the only way to keep any credibility and dignity in the hobby?

Comments please.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting points, Rob and congrats on a great new blog!

    For me, one of the issues is keeping the new licencees in the hobby. Perhaps they pass their course over the weekend, play for a few weeks. And it seems we lose a lot of them. Keeping them engaged, active and wanting to learn more has proved challenging.

    I'm not keen on time limits on Foundation calls - any more than I would have insisted that, in the old days, a Class B should be compelled to do a morse test.

    There's been some similar correspondence in the letters page of Practical Wireless recently.

    Vy 73, Tim G4VXE

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement Tim! The content may be a little more contentious in some aspects and irreverent in others. Also, thanks for the very first reply on this blog!

    What I hadn't examined was the real uptake on Intermediate and Advanced courses. It's a little bit of a supposition that people are static in the Foundation category.

    It certainly calls on all of us to encourage and advise newcomers wherever we can - it's commensurate with the spirit of the hobby, after all. While some of my amateur friends sigh when a new batch of MW6's are unleashed on 2m, I'm personally very happy to see the frequencies occupied! I'll try my best to answer as many questions as I can (of which there are always many) but do wish more experienced people were willing to engage.

    Thanks again for your thoughts, Tim! Very welcome indeed. 73, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might look at moving up to Intermediate, but I am more likely to remain on Foundation for life. Amateur Radio is just one small interest in my life. I obtained my foundation licence primarily to do SOTA activations. In fact I have now found that is the only time I use the radio. I really enjoy my SOTA activations, but I suspect I might get a lot older and greyer before I am forced by inactivity to look at making Radio a more important pastime.

    So, no, I'd be against forcing people to upgrade.

    If we want to use analogies, I'd say car driver, LGV1, LGV2, LGV3. I want to stay a car driver and don't see the need to learn how to operate a 40tonne truck.

    73
    Gerald

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your input and throwing a good analogy back at me, Gerald.

    SOTA is a fantastic aspect to the hobby and the foundation licence grade is ideal to start collecting and giving points. I get a real buzz though, from using 23cm from the local hills (which needs a full licence) - it's an ideal band for the hills.

    If we haven't spoken already, I look forward to speaking to you when you're here in north Wales!

    73, Rob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rob,

      I live in North Wales too. Home QTH is in Mold.

      I'm a part time outdoor instructor and Mountain Rescue Team member... keeps me busy!

      Gerald
      MW6AQU invariably /P

      Delete